The purpose of the WCAC is to foster the excellence, diversity, and vitality of the arts that will enrich the lives of the people of Washington County and enhance the social, cultural, and economic qualities of the community.
WCAC promotes the arts through such means as:
• To be advocates for the arts at local, state, and national levels in both the public and private sectors.
• To provide and act as a clearing house and be a repository of arts information.
• To coordinate and promote arts activities.
• To collect, raise and disseminate funds for the arts.
• To encourage the maintenance or construction of appropriate facilities for the arts.
The Washington County Arts Council, Inc. is funded by an operating grant from the Maryland State Arts Council, (MSAC), an agency dedicated to cultivating a vibrant cultural community where the arts thrive. An agency of the Department of Business & Economic Development, the MSAC provides financial support and technical assistance to nonprofit organizations, units of government, colleges and universities for arts activities. Funding for the MSAC is also provided by the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency, which believes that a great nation deserves great art. Additional funding is also provided by Washington County Government and generous businesses, organizations and individuals.
The Washington County Arts Council is a proud member of County Arts Agencies of Maryland, Maryland Citizens for the Arts and Americans for the Arts.